Bamboo as an ancient herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years in Asia and goes by many names—tabasheer, tabashir, banslochan, bamboo manna, bamboo silica, bamboo powder, bamboo sap, bamboo tears, and tabashir opal (pearl opal) to name a few! Often used for its tonic and astringent properties, it is also considered an aphrodisiac!
Bamboo charcoal(bintochan), bamboo vinegar, bamboo juice, bamboo beer, bamboo salt, and bamboo sugar are ancient remedies still used in many health and body care products today! Home Remedies Guide
Indian Auyurvedic Medicine Banslochan
Learn about the herbal and medicinal uses of Banslochan (bamboo powder) from the book, "Rasayana: Ayurvedic Herbs for Longevity and Rejuvenation".
Chinese Herbal MedicineBamboo as Medicine
A wealth of information on bamboo as a Chinese herbal medicine from ITM Online.Naturopathy Digest
Bamboo and Tabashir FactsTabasheer Opal or Bamboo Opal
: Tabasheer (also spelled tabashir) or pearl opal is an organic stone, or opal-like silica, (opaline silica) that forms in damaged joints (nodes) of bamboo plants. This hydrated form of silica appears as a rounded mass of opal, and looks like seed pearls.
Bamboo Flora and Fauna
Photos of Vulgaris http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/showgallery.php?cat=526
Family Name: Gramineae
Botanical Name(s): Bambusa Vulgaris, Bambusa Arundinacea, Bumbusa Apous, Bumbusa Orientalls, Bumbusa Spinosa
Popular Name(s): Bamboo
Parts Used: Bamboo leaves, Bamboo Exudate, Banshalochan, Tabasheer
Habitat: Through out India, in areas up to 2100 m elevation
Description: Bambusa Vulgaris can be grown best in a climate-controlled environment, where it can be sheltered with adequate water and proper lighting conditions, though, it can be taken outdoors during the summer months. Since common bamboo enjoys plenty of moisture, keeping it well watered is a necessity for a healthy plant.
Uses: The leaves are sweet, astringent, cooling, emmenagougue, opthalmic, vulnerary, constipating and febrifuge. Bamboo leaves contain the highest protein levels whereas the stems have less protein content.
Bambusa Arundinacea Extract
Active Ingredient : Silicates 60% & Silicates 70%
Common Name : Bamboos
Chemical Constituents and Components : Main chemical constituents are silica 90%, silacum, potash, lime, aluminia, cholin, betain, hydrate of silicic acid, nuclease, urease, proteolytic enzyme, cyanogentic glucoside and an alkaloid.
1. It functions as a cross-linking agent, providing strength, flexibility and resilience to collagen and elastin connective tissues.
2. It is plays a part in the integrity of the bones, arterial walls, skin, teeth, gums, hair and nails and has been used to alleviate eczema and psoriasis.
3. It may be useful in preventing osteoporosis and in strengthening the musculoskeletal system, preventing injuries and speeding the healing of fractures.
4. It stimulates chrondroblast or cartilage-forming cells to deposit proteins and other structural materials on the matrix.
5. It helps in the building process of fiber-forming cells important to the creation of collagen.
6. It is very useful in creation of the body’s structural matrix for forming and repairing connective
Curing Diseases : 1. It is used in diarrhoea, dyspepsia, flatulence and worm problems.
2. It is used in fever, inflammations, ulcers and wounds.
3. It is also used in vomiting, hyperdipsia and burning sensation.
4. It helps to cure cough, bronchitis, asthma, asthmatic bronchitis and emphysema.
5. It is used in strangury, syphilis, ophthalmia and haemorrhages. Medical Dislaimer: The information contained on the Bambooya web site is provided for general information only. Bambooya does not give medical advice or engage in the practice of medicine, and under no circumstances recommends a particular treatment for specific individuals, and in all cases recommends that you consult your physician or local treatment center before pursuing any course of treatment.